LOCOMOTIVE MECHANIC – DIESEL
Clarkdale Arizona Central Railroad (AZCR)/Verde Canyon Railroad (VCRR)
Location: Clarkdale, Arizona
Status: Full Time
The Clarkdale Arizona Central Railroad operates 42 miles of railroad between Clarkdale, AZ and Drake, AZ.
- Inspect, service and maintain diesel locomotives in accordance with federal and company regulations
- Diagnoses diesel engine malfunctions and makes indicated repairs using hand tools, measuring instruments and sometimes machine tools
- May assemble, repair and fabricate metal parts operating mechanical equipment
- Performs daily (24 hour) locomotive inspection, including air brake cleaning and testing, in accordance with FRA regulations
- Performs periodic service on locomotives in accordance with company policy that includes: changing oil, turbo inspection, fueling, changing engine air and air compressor filters and greasing couplings, fittings, traction motor gears, electrical testing and repair and fuel linkage
- Replaces locomotive and diesel engine components including wheels or trucks, traction motors, springs, couplers, draft gear assembly, gear cases and cylinder assemblies; heating equipment
- Diagnoses malfunctions in diesel engines, air equipment, trucks or other components in order to determine nature of problem and needed repair or replacement
- Qualify as a shop service locomotive engineer in accordance with FRA standards
- Must be knowledgeable in the handling of hazardous and non-hazardous waste products
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs. for an extended duration
- Ability to read and comprehend gauges, precision measuring instruments, schematics and maintenance manuals
- Must be able to communicate with co-workers, supervisors, and others within the company
- Must be able to reach with arms and hands to perform inspection, maintenance, and repair duties
- Must be able to bend, stoop, twist, kneel, squat 100% of time
- Must be able to use hands to grasp, and able to climb and balance well enough to mount locomotive by climbing up and down steps
- Must be able to walk on level or uneven ground
- The employee is regularly required to exert up to 20 pounds of force; and/or frequently required to exert up to 50 pounds of force; and/or occasionally required to exert up to 125 pounds of force
- Required Experience High School Diploma or GED and 2 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent required
- Associate’s Degree preferred. 2 years related experience or equivalent required
The most qualified candidates will be selected from the available pool of applicants without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability or veteran status. The selection criteria will be job-related skills and attributes as outlined above. Successful candidates must have a stable work record and exhibit safe work practices. The ability to work in a team environment with a focus on customer service is critical. Applicant must be currently authorized to work permanently in the United States
Applicants must be able to read and comprehend regulations and instructions in English, as well as possess good oral communication skills. Successful applicants will be required to pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol screen and complete a medical questionnaire. Every employee is an at-will employee. All employees are expected to know and abide by standard code of Employee Conduct.
Company provided benefits: company-paid medical insurance and life insurance for employee. Dependent medical and family dental and vision provided at cost for employees, paid vacation, 401(k) Program, and 9 paid holidays.
Applications can be obtained on location at the workplace of AZCR/VCRR at 300 North Broadway, Clarkdale, AZ 86324, or email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.