Come Early, Stay Late
Verde Canyon Railroad’s southwestern-style depot, grounds and museum are open daily. The depot is home to the Boxcar Gift Store, Copper Spike Cafe and John Bell Museum.
John Bell Museum
A stroll down the sidewalk bordering the outdoor dining area leads to the museum, a renovated boxcar packed with the interesting history of the train line, the Canyon and our neighboring communities all told through a collection of train memorabilia and historic artifacts spanning more than a century.
The depot and museum are open daily.
Storyboards Educate and Excite
Eye-catching storyboards, overflowing with details on the Verde Canyon, Arizona pioneer spirit and railroad lore line the quarter-mile length of the train’s loading platform.
Visitors will gather fascinating facts about the many animals, plants and people that have imprinted the Verde Valley and the Canyon through which the train passes. Specifics on the railroad’s vintage FP7 locomotives and historic rail cars also are shared via storyboards.
No Tacky Souvenirs Here
Shopping at the Boxcar Gift Store is a traveler’s delight. The quality selection of souvenirs and clothing, home décor and keepsakes representing the Canyon, Railroad and Southwest is irresistible. The Store also celebrates the talent and creativity of local and regional artists in jewelry, sculpture and books. Consider a copy of Tracking Down the Past: The Verde Canyon Railroad Story written by Linda Durbano, the woman behind the man at the controls of Verde Canyon Railroad. Read about the incredible and inspiring history of this scenic rail line.
Copper Spike Cafe in Clarkdale Depot
Enjoy a railtastic lunch prepared to your liking at the Copper Spike Cafe located in the Depot. The cafe has a varied menu of regional favorites, many prepared with locally grown and sourced ingredients. There is an entree to suit everyone’s taste, from the light eater to one with a heartier appetite, from a carnivore to a vegan. Lunches may be enjoyed in our outdoor dining area or carried aboard the train.
Are you celebrating? A birthday, anniversary or just want something sweet for the trip? Order out freshly-made, oversized, cupcakes.
Surrounding the depot are shaded bistro seats and picnic tables creating an ideal lunch location prior to boarding. The outdoor beverage bar on the patio is open seasonally and features an assortment of craft beers on tap as well as signature margaritas and private-label wines. The patio is the place for seasonal events such as Uncorked Winefest and Ales on Rails, as well as year-round raptor visits from Liberty Wildlife.
- All passengers will be limited to ONE (1) bag/purse or backpack. This bag/purse or backpack cannot exceed 22 x 14 x 9 (standard backpack size) and cannot have wheels of any kind.
- Every passenger will be required to open their bag so that boarding attendant can clearly see inside the bag. The passenger may be asked to move items to allow for a clear view of contents.
- Passengers cannot bring firearms or any other form of weapon onboard. If found in bag, customer will be requested to return entire bag to vehicle before boarding.
- Passengers are not allowed to bring alcohol onboard. If found in bag, customer will be requested to return entire bag to vehicle before boarding.
- Passengers cannot bring personal food onboard. If found in bag, customer will be requested to return entire bag to vehicle before boarding.
- Anything purchased in our café is allowed.