How much are individual tickets?
- Exclusive Cab Ride-Along for one person (18 yrs and older): $350.00
- Private Caboose (six adults [13 yrs and older] or less in one party): $900.00 or $950.00 dependent on season
- Non-event, Year-round, Passenger Tickets (all ages): $109.00 or $119.00 p.p. dependent on season
How much are individual tickets for special events?
- Uncorked Wine Festival on the patio at the train depot, and train ride: [must be 21 yrs and older] $149.00 p.p.
- Chocolate Lovers’ Special (offered over the extended Valentine’s weekend): $139.00 p.p.
- Grape Train Escape (wine-tasting): [must be 21 yrs and older] $149.00 p.p.
- Ales on Rails Beer Tasting (offered September 12-October 31)[must be 21 yrs and older] $149.00 p.p.
- Magical Christmas Journey™ Click-thru to see rates
- 2022 Family New Year’s Eve Celebration: $115.00 p.p.
Rates are subject to applicable taxes and fees.
The Verde Canyon Railroad Depot, Immediate grounds and Train are no smoking facilities. There are smoking receptacles, generally strategically placed on depot grounds. We appreciate your respect to the well-being and preservation of our Canyon, our region and our state.
A portion of all train ticket revenue is donated to Liberty Wildlife Raptor Rescue program.
Is the train offered year round, what days do you run and when does the train leave the depot?
Yes. Please see our schedule here. Most trains depart promptly at 1 p.m., except select Saturday options: Saturday morning train rides at 10:30 a.m. or noon, and Saturday night train rides at 5:30 p.m.. Passengers must check-in one hour prior to the departure time or risk missing the train.
Description of Seating
Each exclusively-decorated, passenger car accommodates 28 to 40 passengers on plush upholstered furniture. Full bar service at one’s seat is featured and appetizers are complimentary. A Champagne (or sparkling cider) toast is offered upon boarding.
Late Arrivals and Missed Trains
The scheduled departure time for Verde Canyon Railroad is 1:00 p.m. We are aware that traffic, accidents and other incidents can impact arrival time for some passenger and we ask your understanding with knowing that the train cannot wait for one party. If you have not arrived at the train depot by 12:45 p.m. we will attempt to contact you. This is why we request your mobile phone number when making a reservation. If we have contact with you and you cannot arrive on time we will extend the use of your “train ticket” for up to one year, giving you time to reschedule your ride. Any pre-ordered food purchases, which will be waiting for you at the train depot, will not be refunded or rescheduled. If you arrive at the train depot after the train has departed you may enjoy your pre-ordered lunch on the patio.
Are reservations required?
Yes. Reservations are highly recommended as many trains sell out in advance.
Promotional Pass Redemption
Promotional passes, once provided to the charitable organization, are good for one year from the event date provided. These passes cannot be redeemed in March, April or October and cannot be applied toward the Magical Christmas Journey™. Promotional passes must be exchanged for boarding tickets on day of ride. If passes are not presented, the full cost of the reservation must be paid in full.
Can different families, with individually online-booked reservations, be seated together?
Yes. These reservations can be booked separately online and a “special request” can be added during checkout to note the confirmation number you would like your reservation to be seated with. A request made the day of travel will be considered but cannot be guaranteed. If you would like to call 800-293-7245, in advance of travel date, to arrange multi-party seating we will do our best to accommodate you.
Reservations with odd number of tickets or any amount less than four
Our seating is generally configured in even numbers of 2 or 4, with facing couches accommodating 4 people and 2 chairs and a table accommodating a pair. In order to oblige the high volume of reservation requests, there will be times when non-associated parties of 2 or any odd-numbered party, will be seated across from another party. To ensure that an odd number of people in your party have exclusive seating together, you may consider purchasing an extra seat.
- All passengers will be limited to ONE (1) bag/purse or backpack. This bag/purse or backpack cannot exceed 22 x 14 x 9 (standard backpack size) and cannot have wheels of any kind.
- A passenger may be asked to open their bag so that boarding attendant can clearly see inside the bag. The passenger may be asked to move items to allow for a clear view of contents.
- Passengers cannot bring firearms or any other form of weapon onboard. If found in bag, customer will be requested to return entire bag to vehicle before boarding.
- Passengers are not allowed to bring alcohol onboard. If found in bag, customer will be requested to return entire bag to vehicle before boarding.
- Passengers cannot bring “outside” food onboard. If found in bag, customer will be requested to return entire bag to vehicle before boarding.
- Anything purchased in our café is allowed.
Ice Chests, Strollers and Car Seats
With the limited space available in train cars, and for the safety of all passengers, ice chests, hard-case coolers, picnic baskets, car seats and strollers may not be brought on board the train.
Can the train accommodate groups?
Yes. Reservations for group events can be made by calling 877-674-3835. For any group size of 20 passengers or more, there will be an automatic $2.00 gratuity, per passenger, added to the final reservation total.
Your credit card will be charged for the full amount within 24 hours of receiving your booking.
Our cancellation policy is:
- A full refund is given if cancelled for any reason 48 hours prior to your ride.
- If cancelled within 48 hours before departure, you may re-book to another date, within one year, without penalty.
- Cancellations outside this policy and no-shows (failure to pick up tickets or call) are not refunded.
Are there discounts available?
Members of AAA, AARP, Corporate partner companies and the Military (retired and active) are eligible for a 10% discount when booking directly with Verde Canyon Railroad.
Employee Network (CORP)
Please note: there are no discounts offered in conjunction with The Magical Christmas Journey™.
Where does the train go?
The tracks follow the Verde River north and west of Clarkdale, Arizona. The route is approximately 20 miles to the ghost town of Perkinsville. The train follows the same route from Perkinsville back to Clarkdale.
If it looks like rain or snow does the train still run?
How long is the ride?
Approximately 3.5 hours, round-trip.
What time should we arrive for our train trip?
We suggest you arrive at the train depot 1.5 hours prior to your scheduled departure time. There are expansive storyboards along the tracks that offer pre-ride information on the history, wildlife and terrain of the Canyon. Our train museum holds artifacts reflective of our 100+ years of history. The train accommodates nearly 400 passengers, all of whom are parking, using restrooms and picking up their tickets. The train boards approximately 30 minutes prior to departure so we ask that you allow sufficient time.
Is there food for purchase?
Yes. The Copper Spike Cafe’ is located at the depot, and the menu will tempt your taste buds with a wide variety of all-inclusive meals. Individually-packaged, southwestern-inspired appetizers are included.
What are the appetizers?
Freshly-prepared appetizer trays include fruits, cheeses, proteins and dessert, all individually packaged and distributed upon boarding. Bottled water is available throughout the journey. These appetizers, while tasty and abundant, are not meant to be a meal.
Can I take my own food and beverage on board?
No outside food or beverage is permitted. If you have dietary restrictions, please inquire about alternate considerations.
Can I smoke onboard the train?
NO – PURSUANT TO A.R.S. § 36-601.01 and DUE TO STATE FIRE RESTRICTIONS we are not allowing smoking of any kind onboard the train. This includes, but is not limited to cigarettes, cigars, vape equipment or electric cigarettes.
Do we get off the train?
Passengers remain on the train for the entire journey.
Is Verde Canyon Railroad wheelchair accessible?
- We have wheelchair accessibility. Most motorized chairs and scooters exceed the width/weight limit for the platform lift.
- The maximum weight for the lift platform is 400 lbs.
- Guests may utilize personal manual wheelchairs as long as the width is no wider than 24.5 inches.
- We can provide, at no charge, the use of a manual wheelchair. These wheelchairs have a weight limit of 250 lbs.
- Due to the historic nature of the Caboose it cannot accommodate wheelchairs.
Whether using your own wheelchair, or requesting the use of ours, please mention there is a wheelchair needed in the reservation when calling so the party will be seated in one of our accessible cars. There are ADA restrooms in accessible cars.
Are there restrooms on the train?
Yes. Each car is equipped with a restroom. Not all restrooms on the train can accommodate a wheelchair. Please contact the reservations department at 800-293-7245 in advance of your reservation to discuss options.
Is the train heated and/or air-conditioned?
Yes. All cars are climate-controlled.
No pets are allowed on the train
“Service Animals – Verde Canyon Railroad is in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and permits services animals in the facility. Emotional support, comfort and companionship are NOT covered tasks defining the function and use of a service animal under the law.
Please answer these two questions regarding the use of your service dog:
- Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
- What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?
- The service animal must be harnessed or on a leash, house broken, and under control of the owner at all times.
- The service animal must remain on the floor and is NOT allowed on any furniture at any time. The service animal cannot be held by the owner.
- If the service animal disrupts the journey for anyone else we will have to consider alternative seating options for the service animal and owner.
Please refer to https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html#gen and http://www.azleg.gov/ars/11/01024.htm for more information.
Pet Sitting Services
For your convenience here is a dog sitting facility available near Verde Canyon Railroad.
24 E Cottonwood St
Cottonwood, AZ 86326
Hours: 8AM–12PM, 4–5:30PM
Are firearms allowed?
No. Firearms are not allowed inside the depot or on the train.
Can we take more than six adults in the caboose?
The $900/$950 fare for a regularly-scheduled train ride is for six passengers or less. Up to two additional people can be accommodated at an additional $125 per passenger. For the $500/$600 Magical Christmas Journey caboose the cost for up to two additional passengers is $100 per person. The comfort level declines as there is only chair seating for six adults. It is encouraged that all caboose passengers be over 13 yrs. old.
Policy on photography or filming at Verde Canyon Railroad Property
The use of drone photography/video filming is strictly prohibited aboard Verde Canyon Railroad.
There is no access allowed to the train tracks. Train tracks are for trains. Please stay off!
Photography for commercial use, or financial gain, requires prior authorization. Contact Teresa Propeck at 602-316-9887 or email@example.com PRIOR to arriving at train depot. This includes engagements for commercial gain or profit such as movie films, commercial television productions, photography for commercial advertisements and wedding or group staging.
Train Passenger Photography Consent and Disclaimer
If a Train Passenger (PAX) creates, uploads, posts or sends any photography or video footage depicting or relating to Verde Canyon Railroad (VCRR), PAX grants VCRR and its affiliates the irrevocable, unrestricted, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, sublicensable and transferable right and license to use, display, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish and distribute for any purpose in any media, collateral or promotional effort. PAX also agrees to not exploit any photographs or video footage of VCRR for any commercial purpose without VCRR’s prior written consent.
Terms and Conditions of Passage
In recognition of the relative risks and benefits of this train ride, all passengers agree that the liability of the Railroad, its officers, directors, members, managers, employees, parents, subsidiaries, assigns, and agents, in connection with train ride, resulting from any negligent acts, errors, or omissions of the Railroad, its officers, directors, members, managers, employees, parents, subsidiaries, assigns ,and agents, or any economic or non-economic loss experienced in relation to the train ride, is limited to the total fees actually paid by the passenger to the Railroad for the train ride.